A contractor for a basement remodel has to have the experience to make sure the space is waterproof and provide the right suggestions for a big project that fit the budget and space. The right contractor fits both criteria, and these questions can help you narrow down the list of local contractors.
There are general questions to ask a contractor, and then there are these specific basement remodeling questions. Finishing a basement often involves waterproofing because basements (even in the highest areas in Wisconsin) are prone to flooding. The concrete slab in a basement also continuously seeps moisture, which is why basement flooring should be water-resistant. This means wood flooring (other than engineered hardwood) is not an option. Fortunately, there are other good-looking options for basement flooring that can withstand the moisture and look great.
These questions are drafted specifically for a basement remodeling project and addresses some of the issues specifically involved in a basement remodeling project.
- How long have been a contractor?
- Do you have any references?
- Can you provide pictures of past basement remodeling projects?
- Have you ever remodeled a basement before?
- Have you ever had to waterproof a basement?
- Do you have experience with adding plumbing to a basement? (If needed.)
- Do you pull permits for the project?
- Can you assist with planning the basement layout?
- When would you be available to start the project?
- How do you keep the dust and dirt from a basement remodel to a minimum?
- When can we set up a time for you to see the basement?
If the contractor answers the questions satisfactorily, don’t hesitate to ask the contractor for suggestions during the meeting. An experienced contractor may have basement remodeling ideas that you may not have thought of, and may help with design and keeping within budget. (These steps for finishing a basement can also help you get started.)
If you are considering hiring the contractor, ask these additional questions:
- How is payment handled? (Be wary of contractors that ask for a large down payment up front.)
- When will I hear from you again?
- Will the quote be emailed to me?
- How do you typically communicate with clients?
Once you have decided on the right contractor for the basement remodel, make sure you read all the fine print in the contract and are completely clear on the timeline. Then, start dreaming of the perfect finished basement and all the great time you’ll spend there.