When it’s time for a new, functional bathroom, hiring a bathroom remodeling contractor near you can seem overwhelming—but it doesn’t have to be. While the process doesn’t have to be difficult, it is important to choose the right bathroom remodeling contractor. Unfortunately, the world is full of dishonest contractors—even in the state of Wisconsin!
We don’t want you to end up with anything but a beautiful bathroom. To help, we’ve put together a list of questions (and tips) that can help make the process easier—and get your bathroom remodeled by a reliable, quality local contractor.
How to Find a Bathroom Remodeling Contractor
- Ask friends or family members for recommendations.
- Search for local bathroom remodeling contractors online. (Use terms like “bathroom remodeling contractor near me” or “bathroom remodeling contractor in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.” Never hire a contractor without researching them).
- Check third party sites (i.e. Yelp, Better Business Bureau) and social media for reviews and comments from past customers.
Questions to Ask Potential Bathroom Remodeling Contractors
- How long have you been a contractor? How long have you been in business?
- Do you have insurance?
- Have you remodeled a bathroom before?
- Do you pull permits for the project?
- Do you use materials that prevent water damage and mold? (Pro tip: Bathrooms are very moist spaces. Always use materials and flooring produced for a humid room, and fans to prevent water damage.)
- How long do you think my bathroom remodel is going to take?
- How do you keep the dust and dirt from the bathroom remodel to a minimum? (Pro tip: To keep the rest of your home clean, hire a contractor who does more than just sweeps the floor.)
- Do you have any suggestions for my project?
- When do you need a down payment by? (Pro tip: Be careful about hiring a contractor that acts for payment in full up front.)
- When are you available to start the bathroom remodel?
- When will I receive a quote?
Where to Start Your Bathroom Remodeling Project
(For a more detailed list, use our Bathroom Remodeling Checklist.)
- Make a list of bathroom remodeling ideas or absolute “must haves” you want in your new bathroom.
- Decide on a layout for your new bathroom. (Pro tip: If your budget is tight, keep the existing layout to minimize any additional costs for moving electrical outlets and plumbing.)
- Find and interview contractors.
- Hire a contractor.
- Secure permits (Pro tip: Some contractors may secure permits. Always ask the contractor so you know who is responsible for getting local permits for the project.)